Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bicycles, windmills, and red lights

The bikes here are wild, I've almost been run over a few times, they're tricky silent! There are bicycle garages here as big as our mall parking garages! Had to take a picture of that....

So, the first day in Amsterdam was spent perusing the museums and yesterday we explored the seedier side. The Red Light District was everything you've ever heard about. Haarlem even has one, we almost went through it but it costs 6 euros and I was the only female (non-prostitute) around plus it was very late. And we also tried what Amsterdam is most famous for which is found on every corner.....herring, of course!

We are now in Delft, a cute Dutch town famous for its' blue and white earthenware as well as the birthplace of Vermeer. Even saw Girl with a Pearl Earring in The Hague!!!

Tot ziens!

2 comments:

nutmeg76 said...

I am so jealous of your travels, I just returned from three weeks in Nebraska and Maryville and not much to report on. I missed your blog while I was gone, it is sort of like a cultured soap opera. I brought Rob's two kids back with me for the summer, so we have a full house. Rob just took them to the ocean to try fishing off the shore. As soon as Ella awakes we'll join them. I am more of a shell and sea glass collector. Do you collect sea glass? I got a book about how it is a vanishing gem and the most rare pieces to find. They talk about how the glass is different all over the world. Let me know if you find any and what color. Happy Travels!

Unknown said...

oh, i was hoping to meet up with you in nebraska...next time!