Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Holland tulips

Hallo! Back to mainland Europe and it has a different feel. I love it! I want to live here. Although Scandinavia is beautiful and the people are very friendly, the food is not all that. So far, I've decided I could live in Amsterdam, Paris, the south of France, and Switzerland. I'm digging the greetings in other languages, I was mistaken for a Nederlandese (?), this made my day! Especially as my grandpa is from Holland.

So we're staying in Haarlem, a 15 minute train ride to Amsterdam, getting a good feel for everyday living which is small: rooms, bathrooms, etc. Our room overlooks the Grote Markt, looking out we see a sign with the letters eke of Heineken!! Tried the beer and Sprite thing, it's called Snow White here, Ryan loves ordering a drink with that name:-) Strange, it''s been colder here than even in Scandinavia, in the 50s, brrhhhhhh.

Hit 4 museums yesterday, a record for us. Corrie ten Boom house, Rijksmuseum (starring Rembrandt and Vermeer), Van Gogh, and the Anne Frank house. And it wasn't a rushed day at all. Met another American couple and ate dinner with them at the pancake (read: crepe) bakery. Indonesian food is big here, trying that tonight. I don't want this food stuff to end!! But it has been a long trip, each little segment seems like its own. What I have tired of is wearing the same clothes and washing them in the sink. Plus, the actual traveling to each location is stressful at times.

About pictures, I've had trouble at each internet cafe place uploading them, it takes forever. So, will have to share it all at the end. Just a warning, we have close to 2,000 of them and that is with deleting quite a few!

Tot ziens!

2 comments:

Christa said...

Sounds like much fun. Make sure to steer clear of Heineken and go for an Oranjeboom or Gulpenner. Even if you do drink a "snow white" it will taste better with a good bier. Speaking of drinks, that green drink you tried here is called Pisang Ambon, pronounced Pee-shang Ahm-bon. The Nederlands is the only place you can get it as well, I couldn't even find it the D-land just on the border with the Nederlands. One last thing, no complaining of fifty degree weather when we barely dip into the mid seventies at night. Have a good time in Belgium and remember, that is where the best bier in the world is brewed, so go crazy like I know you both can.
Johnny

Cara said...

Thanks for the tip on the drinks, Johnny. We'll have to try it one last time here...