Sunday, August 5, 2007

Grand Tetons--Jackson Hole, Wyoming



I don't know if it was because Grand Tetons was the first of the national parks but it was jaw dropping beautiful with its' huge peaks and glacial waters. The first day we took a boat to Jenny Lake and then hiked to Inspiration Point where we saw our first moose in the (very large) flesh! The downside was there were a ton of people on this hike so the next day we went on a quieter trail and were rewarded with this view!!! Unfortunately, I got burned badly and also messed up my knee--old high school track/soccer injury so I've been icing ever since.

Just driving to these hikes we saw wildlife like elk, deer, and my new favorite: buffalo!! (Stay tuned for my buffalo encounter pic/story in Yellowstone post.)

We stayed in Teton Village, a ski resort village in a hotel called Hostelx. It definitely felt like a hostel and was priced accordingly. This should have been my first clue but we couldn't pass up this deal. We had our own dimly lit room with 4 bunkbeds but after 2 nights of near sleeplessness and hearing actual conversations through the walls even with ear plugs, we left a day early and headed to Yellowstone. Of course, this didn't bother Ryan...how aggravating:-)

Anyway, I loved everything about Jackson Hole except our lodging...even had organic deli/general store....right up my alley. Also drove through Jackson and ate at a great little restaurant for breakfast on Bon Appetit's top 10 places to eat breakfast in the country! And I thought they'd only have steak and potatoes in this part of the country! (Knew I'd add some food comments in there, didn't you? )

No comments: