Monday, March 24, 2008

Cuaresma and Semana Santa

Lent and holy week, thank goodness they are over!! This past week has been a much different Antigua. Hordes of tourists descended on this tiny town. I have become annoyed with them, which I don’t consider myself, ha, I like to think of myself more as a traveler and observe the culture, which I hope I do most of the time. Seriously, I have met so many obnoxious Americans, the sort that only takes pictures and moves on and somehow manages to be the center of attention, in a bad way. My sanity has been exploring Antigua most mornings when the city feels deserted and I enjoy it so much more. It´s way more relaxing and enjoyable than fighting for space in this tiny town. Antigua is magical without the tourists.

So I escaped Antigua with a friend last weekend to a working coffee farm. It had great views of the surrounding area and a canopy zip line, although I didn´t want to shell out the big bucks for that. I flagged the hummer type vehicle down and managed to get free transportation there and back, a bonus for speaking Spanish, I think! We felt like exploring the grounds after a leisurely brunch and went on a tour by mule!! The workers there asked where we were from and were happy they didn’t have to explain the difference between Democrats and Republicans in the US. So, you know where this is going of course, we rode the Democrats. Out came a white mule named Hillary, so I immediately volunteered for her! Yes, I have thought of every single possible joke imaginable during that ride. She was temperamental, she didn’t like the other girl mules, and absolutely had a mind of her own, the whole nine yards. She kept going off the trail, I was so happy to be finished with the hour ride and grateful we didn’t sign up for longer. I learned the words for stop, right, left, etc. muy rapidamente! So…now my vote goes to Obama….

Sorry to disappoint on the picture end, I have been lazy about finding the time to do it..... And I know I won´t get to it in the next 2 weeks because.....

Ryan gets in to Guatemala tomorrow night then we´re off to Lake Atitlan, an area with volcanic lakes and a bunch of traditional Mayan villages. Can´t wait to just relax!! After Ryan leaves this Sunday, I´m off to explore other parts of Guatemala with a friend I met here from the US (not of the obnoxious type)! We don´t have a set itinerary which I´m excited about. First, we´ll go to Rio Dulce and Livingston to experience the Garifuna culture near the Caribbean then we´ll see the big Mayan site of Tikal. "Tikal is to Guatemala what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris", I must´ve read this a thousand times. It´s true though, it´s on their license plates and on every touristy literature piece. The plan is then to end up in Quetzaltenango for more school. But after my experience with the school in Antigua, I don´t want to reserve a space beforehand, I prefer to check it out for myself before signing up.

I´m so ready for a new place and a new adventure!!

Adios, mis amigos!!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Your "experience" sounds sooo fun!! I wish that someday I can enjoy such an experience footloose and fancy free!