Saturday, March 29, 2008

Famoso Esposo

Ryan has been exposed to the real Guatemala and is not too keen on it. I will say we are back in Antigua for one night and the hotel is divine, I took my first hot shower in over a month. And not the kind I've become so accustomed to where it might start out warm but then all of a sudden goes frigidly cold: it was hot the whole time. I didn't even realize I had missed that. Ok, maybe I'm not a true undeveloped country sort of traveler, then again I've been without for 5 weeks!!

So, I got to show Ryan where I've been living for a month and he got to meet my teacher, Mayra and my friends and roommates I've been hanging out with. Then we took a shuttle through very windy not so good roads for 2-3 hours to Lake Atitlan. The village we stayed at was called San Marcos and was really small but had tons of yoga studios and massage places. There was even a moon and sun course place where you could study astronomy and the like, very new age-y. Our first hotel was right in the center of this village and I couldn't sleep at night with the wild dogs barking at all hours and you could literally hear the conversations next door through the possibly mortar or stucco walls with big gaps. So we moved right outside the village and seemed to have the place to ourselves: a gorgeous lakeside view with a restaurant on the premises. I had my first Thai food here, weird, huh, but it was ok. Glad to be back in Antigua for a day more to enjoy the conveniences a touristy town has to offer.

Also experienced a scorpion in our room, a huge spider, no door on the bathroom and no curtains to the bathroom window. Unfortunately, the place was owned by a foreigner (possibly German) who was really rude and took offense that we told him about no door on the bathroom. Oh well, Guatemala is very similar to Guam in a lot of respects. It can be raw and beautiful at the same time with a lot of poverty mixed in.

So off to my next adventure and Ryan goes back to Seattle. He's certainly seen enough!!

Hasta luego!

No comments: