Friday, September 7, 2007

We got the house!!

Yay!!! After agonizing over foundation, electrical, and roofing issues uncovered from the inspection and much going back and forth between the sellers over what they'll cover, the house will be ours!! Our closing date is in 2 weeks, Sept. 21st. Now our battle is to retrieve our stuff from storage in Mississippi and have it delivered as close as possible to that date. I have a feeling we'll be investing in an air mattress!!

One friend commented how easy it was to buy a house. Do you all think so? I couldn't disagree more, with this, my first experience!! Maybe newer construction is less involved but each inspection we had seemed to divulge more issues, argghhh! Maybe it's better to not know?? I had no idea the stress involved in this whole process. We almost walked away as their counter-offer after the inspection was much less than we were willing to settle on. The major stuff that needed to be done to the house amounted to an estimate of $20,000!! Our realtor warned us it's an old house (built in 1914) so there would be issues, still I wasn't prepared to take such a critical look at where we might call home. We eventually compromised at $12,000, now the real work begins..... The house is definitely "move-in ready" but we have some ideas on updates. I'll gradually post pictures instead of all at once to pique your interest in visiting us!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Cara and Ryan! I can't wait to see your new home. I'm glad you were able to work everything out.