Monday, October 29, 2007

Escapism edition

Wow, did the Horns ever escape Nebraska's onslaught! I can't believe how well they (and Jamaal Charles, the same man who lost us the OU game) played in the 4th quarter, too bad that was the only quarter they played, arrgghhh. I don't know how many more games like that I can take. I was screaming so loud I'm sure passersby were concerned, ha! Texas has to beat Nebraska or else I have to take it from the whole extended family. BIG sigh of relief! Hard to believe they moved up to 15 in the BCS.

Still adjusting to working full-time (well really only 4 days these past 2 weeks) but this is due to training. Tomorrow I train one more day then I'm in the on call position, meaning they call me if they need me. Not until Thanksgiving when I fill in for a girl on maternity leave will I have scheduled hours. My boss seems to think I'll work pretty frequently....we shall see. Got my first pay check, yay! Swedish Hospital charts on-line so reading the Dr's handwriting is not an issue, yay! And maybe now someone will read my note, ha. Rounds are really fascinating, in the neuro ICU a Dr. leads it and shows all of the disciplines the MRIs and chest X-rays when appropriate. I'm trying to become familiar with all of these neurological disorders, such as moya moya. It's so fun to say! It's a sad place though. Without giving too much information, there's a sad case of a woman who's 14 weeks pregnant with an inoperable brain tumor. She was nauseous and lost all this weight which everyone thought was due to her pregnancy. Swedish is basically a cardiac and neurological specialty hospital, there are a couple of other diagnoses sprinkled throughout but thus far, I'm already wondering if I'll get bored. You can only give so many cardiac diet instructions to 80 year olds who do not want to change..... The bus commute is easier now too, except that I have to run out the door some days to make it!

1 comment:

Cara said...

So a couple people have asked about the pregnant woman. The plan is for the oncologist to have a conversation with the patient's family to determine if radiation can treat the tumor and what effects it might have on the fetus and if it would even benefit the mother. Very sadly, it may come down to which life has a better prognosis. The other option is to wait it out and hope that the mother can live long enough for the baby to be delivered. The ethics committee is involved. Can you imagine having to make a decision like this?