Friday, February 1, 2008

CA scenery & snow-shoeiing pictures




My attempt at making these pictures smaller has failed. So here you have it: huge pictures of us. The first three are from the Monterey area: 17 mile drive, Carmel, and Big Sur. There really were so many good pictures, it was hard to choose which ones to post (I highly recommend the camera I have--Canon Sureshot, it's virtually fool-proof aside from the occasional finger).

The last is of snow-shoeiing!! I've wanted to do this for years now and was so excited to go with a friend from work, Sirima. She organized a group of her friends--some of which had climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro along with her husband, a former Air Force special forces guy--so knew we'd be in safe hands avoiding those avalanches. What she failed to tell me is that it was her birthday---one of her friends actually carried a cake he had made, surprising her with it and sang happy birthday. What nice friends she has! All this while eating lunch under a tree well (shown in the picture) atop a bench formed with their shovels, so clever. I had a blast and did not want to go back to the car. I discovered that snow-shoeiing is nothing more than walking/hiking in the snow. The only gear we needed were the actual snow shoes, which we rented from REI. Just 45 minutes out of Seattle, it was a wintry wonderland: snow on the mountains and a ski resort. It was recommended to have chains on your tires close to where we snow-shoed and currently I-90 is closed in Snoqualmie Pass (locale of our fun). It was snowing and cold but you work up quite a sweat until you stop and get cold again. What fun to tromp through the snow, this is one sport I definitely want to take up while living here.....

Back in urban Seattle, it's been on the cold side (30s) but clear and even, gasp, ....sunny. Work has kept me busy...no more low census days. This is allowing me to save even more money for my trip.....only 3 more weeks until my departure!

Hasta luego, amigos!!

No comments: