Thursday, February 21, 2008

Last thoughts

24 hours to go before my departure for Guatemala! I've been so excited this week as I'm realizing that I'm actually following one of my dreams and not letting any circumstances hold me back. I think I was so busy working, throwing a party for myself, and spending 1 last weekend with Ryan in Vancouver that I hadn't been able to fully take it in until now. A lot of people have said they're too chicken to do something like this or wish they could do it too. I say, join me then! Or make it happen for yourself at another time or place. This is our one shot at living and I fully intend to make mine count!

As a procrastinator, I still have plenty of last minute things to do: fit all my stuff into 1 carry-on size backpack (like I did for Europe) for starters. And it's a good thing I've done that before or I'd be lost, 2 months is a long time to pack for. My pack is only 1/4-1/2 full of clothing, the rest is meds for just in case traveler's diarrhea, etc and contact solution, stuff I'm not sure they'll have down there, and books too. I'm sure I'm even overpacking with this but don't know they'll have everything I think I need. So, interested in the nitty gritty details? 4 pairs of pants (1 I'll wear on the plane and 2 are lightweight hiking pants that are convertible to shorts), 6 or so shirts, 5 pairs of socks/underwear, and only 2 pairs of shoes!! Can you believe the last one? 1 pair of cross-trainers and my Teva flip-flops. I figure if I bring everything I need, I won't have an excuse to go shopping!!

Excited to learn espanol as well. I hope my high school and college courses come back to me. I have been listening to Spanish soap operas on tv just to hear the language. The school sounds awesome! I will go to "class"--really just 4 hours in the morning of 1 on 1 (!) instruction and conversation. It's suggested to not spend more than 4-5 hours per day when learning a new language. As I'll be staying with a host family that only speaks Spanish, I will be forced to practice at home too!! Additionally, at the market, restaurants, movies or whatever, I'll be forced to use my new-found language skills. No pressure. The afternoons are free to do your own thing or participate in various activities they offer such as cooking, salsa and merengue classes, etc. There are even movie and culture nights. Even for me, I don't think I'll get bored. Many trips/tours can be planned through them too, which really excites me. Sounds like there's a big traveler's network so there will be plenty of people to travel with over the weekends!! If interested, here's the website for the school: http://www.spanishacademyantiguena.com

Many of you have expressed concern for my safety. Please know I am an aware traveler but will take extra caution making sure I'm never alone or out late at night or frequent unsafe areas. I plan on registering with the US Embassy (something I've never done on any other trips). And if all else fails, I can use my newly acquired self defense techniques. Look out, potentail assailants! Better yet, I'll just yell Fuego! or act crazy if I'm approached by aliens.

So my flight leaves Seattle Friday at 11:25 am, arrives in Houston around 5 pm, only have an hour or so layover, then arrive in Guatemala City at 10 pm. Thankfully, I don't need to stay in Guat. City by myself that first night, a shuttle arranged by the school will be picking me up for the short drive to Antigua! And I'll stay with my host family that first night. These trip details have all fallen into place so nicely, it's been one of the least stressful trips to plan for, in that regard.

That is as much as I know about my plans as I've intentionally kept my itinerary open. If I like Antigua/the school/my host family I might hang out there through Semana Santa (Holy Week), 4 weeks, and then potentially move on. I've never traveled spontaneously like this before so stay tuned.....

And don't be a stranger, let me know what's going on in your lives. I bought a lightweight computer from a friend so will have access to email and plan to keep blogging.

Hasta luego, amigos!!

No comments: